Proteus beta discussion forum

• July 29, 2014, 03:32:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spam Control: New members require admin approval. Please email me (Ed @ this site) if you get wrongly caught in the net.

Author Topic: Proteus Blackscreen on Launch  (Read 3580 times)

Grey the Yotey

• View Profile
Proteus Blackscreen on Launch
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:27:34 AM »

Been playing Proteus for a while now. I've had a look around the forum a few times before but only just made an account.

With the new update today I seem to be having problems launching Proteus (Windows 7)
I directly downloaded the new update and tried playing it straight away but instead just got a black screen with no sound, from here I couldn't tab out or Ctrl+Alt+Del my way out of it.
After that I tried fully uninstalling everything and reinstalling; same problem but I get sound now. If I try to Ctrl+Alt+Del out I can still use the menu that comes up but can't see any of it.
Tried going into the properties of the Proteus launcher to see if I can launch it windowed but couldn't find anything that helped.

Any Help will be greatly appreciated.

Ed

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Proteus Blackscreen on Launch
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:45:23 AM »

Sorry to hear this! A couple of steps to try:

- delete settings.txt from Documents/Proteus
- run from the "Run Proteus in windowed mode" shortcut in the start menu (you can go back to fullscreen later)
- check you have latest graphics drivers (a few rendering things changed between updates)

Let me know if any of these help

Grey the Yotey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »

Ah, thanks for that, I was looking for an options file.
I went into Options.txt and set fullscreen to False, then went in-game to set the resolution to something a bit friendlier.
New Proteus is looking really nice~ :3

Ed

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »

Great, thanks! Going to try and patch that - in the meantime if anyone has a similar issue, use the "Run Windowed Mode" option to get into the game, go to settings and pick a known good resolution and then go back to full screen and you should be fine from there

tekn0t

• View Profile
    • Capacitor World Service
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 07:15:40 PM »

Hi Ed,

I also get this problem, although I get a dialog box saying "proteus.exe stopped working". Your fix of starting in windowed mode fixes it. My graphics card is an integrated Intel GMA 4500mhd (don't laugh). The beta versions worked without issue.

Cheers!
Andrew