Proteus beta discussion forum

• October 25, 2014, 11:02:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spam Control: New members require admin approval. Please email me (Ed @ this site) if you get wrongly caught in the net.

Author Topic: (SOLVED) Steam- Blank white window labelled SDL_app on launch... gets no further  (Read 4295 times)

WanderingFalcon

• View Profile

Just bought on steam, whenever proteus is launched, fullscreen or windowed all that pops up is a blank white window labelled SDL_app... tried verifying integrity, uninstall and reinstall, running as admin and in compatibility mode, restarting both steam and computer and deleting settings file in documents/proteus... still no luck. When clicked on window simply proclaims itself not responding and windows does its little pretence of problem solving... I'm running windows 7 on an alienware laptop... err help?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:27:23 AM by Ed »

Ed

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Steam- Blank white window labelled SDL_app on launch... gets no further
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:37:06 PM »

Hi there, sorry to hear about the trouble.
Could you confirm you have latest graphics drivers?

Could you also email me - ed@visitproteus.com - with the output of DxDiag http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Run-DirectX-Diagnostic-Tool  (save the data as a text file)

This should give full info on your hardware which might have some clues.

WanderingFalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:22:59 PM »

Yeah realised I didn't mention that, yes I also updated drivers... emailing you now

Alf1608

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:48:15 AM »

Hello

Im having the exact same problem, tried updating drivers, verifying integrity on steam, reinstalling, admin mode, and running in compatibility mode. Cant seem to get it to work.

Windows 7 desktop
nvidia geforce gtx 590 graphic

hope you can help me out as well.

Ed

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »

Hey guys,
I asked Wandering Falcon if the SpaceChem demo (or space chem itself) ran, and it turned out it had the same problem.
This is significant because SpaceChem happens to use the same graphics bindings as Proteus.

So, a bit of research into that problem showed a couple of options:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2820586
- In this case, reinstalling video drivers fixed it (also has some info about Process monitor, so I'm going to look into that and make sure I understand how to run it on my PC before suggesting it, but feel free to try that and post results if you find anything)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=29641921
- Seem to be a couple of options here:
     - "i had this problem. fixed it by going into the games folder in steamapps\common and deleting 92800_install.vdf"
     - "Ah Fixed on my computer! I had to change the comparability settings on the SpaceChem.exe (running on Win7) to Disable the Visual, desktop composition, and high DPI."

Let me know if any of these fix it, and I'll keep this updated. I'll also check out that Process Monitor mentioned above.

Thanks for your patience with this! It's a nightmare tracking down these odd 1-in-1000 problems when you've only got a couple of PCs to test on.

Alf1608

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:06:58 PM »

Hello Ed

Thanks for the fast response.

I just tried the fixes and disabling the Visual, desktop composition, and high DPI seems to have done the trick for me.

Thanks a lot, im looking forward to finally playing this.

WanderingFalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »

Yeah, same for me, cheers for the help

Ed

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:26:48 AM »

Ahh great, thanks for letting me know it worked! (And thanks to the Spacechem forums :))

chuz

• View Profile

I get the same issue as the first post, but no mentioned solutions have worked so far :(

Ed

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Sorry to hear that. Could you post your system specs? Posting full DxDiag.txt is always useful as it has full details of driver versions etc.

chuz

• View Profile

Ed

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Thanks, all looks up to spec, of course.

Did you try the SpaceChem test? (i.e. does the space chem demo have the same problem?)

I'm at a loss for now... these 1-in-1000 problems are hard to figure out without access to the PCs where they happen.

Bear with me: I'm going to look into upgrading the Tao libraries to a newer version, and putting that on the beta branch, but that might end up being on Monday.

chuz

• View Profile

Yes, I've tried the SpaceChem demo, it crashed just the same.
I can certainly wait, glad to hear there's some plausible solution.

chuz

• View Profile

I think it may be to do with my .net framework 4 being corrupt, so I guess It can wait until I can purchase a new computer in the coming years.

Ed

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Hey, sorry about the lack of reply here - I've been bad at staying in touch on the forum. It does sound like an issue with your PC I'm afraid, but if you drop me an email I can try to sort something out